A Brief History of Haddam
The Town of Haddam is located in Middlesex County, in the south-central part of Connecticut in the lower Connecticut
River Valley. Middletown and East Hampton border the town to the north, East Haddam to the east, Chester and
Killingworth to the south, and Killingworth and Durham to the west. With approximately 7,200 residents (2000 census)
the town covers 46.7 square miles. Haddam has the distinction of being the only town in the state of Connecticut that
is bisected by the Connecticut River, with residents on both sides; Haddam and Higganum are on the west side and Haddam
Neck is on the east side.
|Early Settlement Map
|Click on map for larger image
|Click on map for larger image
Plantation at Thirty Mile Island
In 1660 the Connecticut Colonial Legislature sent Matthew Allyn and Samuel Willys down the Connecticut River from
Hartford to purchase land from the Wangunk Indian Tribe at the place the English called 'Land of Thirty Mile Island'.
The island, now known as Haddam Island was thought to be thirty miles from the mouth of the "Grate River" at Long
Island Sound (it is only 17 miles from the mouth of river). In May 1662 the Englishmen finally purchased land
comprising approximately 104 square miles and extending in six miles on each side of the river from the straits
at "Pattyquonck" (now Chester) to the Mattabeseck-Mill River (now Middletown) across to the line of Chatham
(now East Hampton). The English paid 30 coats (worth approximately $100) for the land from four Native American chiefs,
two queens and others. The Native Americans did set aside some property for their own use including 40 acres at Cove
Meadow (Chester) and Haddam Island as well reserving the right to hunt and fish where they pleased.
The first settlers were twenty-eight men and their families from Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor:
|Nicholas & Mariam (Moore) Ackley
||John & Martha (Steele) Hannison
|Joseph & Elizabeth (Wakeman) Arnold
||Richard & Elizabeth (Carpenter) Jones
|James & Hannah (Withington) Bates
||Stephen Luxford (No Wife Listed)
|John & Lydia (Backus) Bailey
||John Parents (No Wife Listed)
|Daniel & Hannah (Spencer) Brainerd
||Thomas & Alice (Spencer) Shayler
|Thomas & Alice (Spencer) Brooks
||Simon & Elizabeth (Wells) Smith
|Samuel & Elizabeth (Olmsted) Butler
||Thomas Smith (No Wife Listed)
|William & Katherine (Bunce) Clark
||Gerrard & Hannah (Hills) Spencer
|Daniel & Mehitable (Spencer) Cone
||John & Rebecca (Howard) Spencer
|William Corby (No Wife Listed)
||Joseph & Elizabeth (Spencer) Stannard
|Abraham & Lydia (Tefft) Dibble
||William & Elizabeth (No Maiden Name Listed) Ventres
|Samuel & Anna (Burnham) Gaines
||John & Hannah (No Maiden Name Listed) Webb
|George & Sarah (Olmstead Gates
||James & Elizabeth (Clark) Wells
||John & Mary (Bronson) Wyatt
Originally there were two small settlements on the west bank of the river, the Town Plot was laid out along the
southern end of what is presently Walkley Hill Road and extended to the old burying ground (Burial Yard at Thirty Mile
Island Plantation) and the Lower Plantation was settled south of the Mill Creek in the area now known as Shailerville.
Each proprietor was given a home lot and land for farming. There was also land set aside for a meetinghouse and
ministers lot. In October 1668 town was incorporated and given the name Haddam after Much Hadham in England. Haddam had
very little tillable agricultural land and the best farming land was located along the river. Early residents utilized
all of the natural resources available to them including water, fish, timber and granite in order to survive. The
Connecticut River was a major source of income and transportation for the first 200 years of the town existence.
Shipyards were built along the river, while many other small tributaries provided waterpower for mills and
In 1685 a group of residents moved across the river to settle East Haddam including the Gates, Ackley and Bates
families. In 1700 East Haddam formed their own ecclesiastical society and became a separate town in 1734. Haddam
Neck, which is also located on the east side of the river, was settled around 1712 but remained a part of Haddam
and continues so today.
By 1720 the population of Haddam had grown to 500 and continued to grow steadily, forcing new settlers and
younger generations to expand inland to the less fertile areas. Families that came to Haddam in the late 17th
century included Walkley, Scovil, Dickinson, Hubbard, Hazelton, Higgins, Knowles, Lewis, Ray, Thomas, Tyler, Burr and
Smith, some of which settled in the interior portions of town including Ponsett, Candlewood Hill, Little City, Burr
and Turkey Hill.
During the Revolutionary War Haddam men served in the local militia and many citizens participated in privateering,
the state sanctioned practice of capturing enemy ships. Privateering gave United State ships permission to capture
British ships to cut off their supply lines and furnish our Navy with needed vessels and supplies. Once a ship
was captured, it was brought to the nearest friendly port where the ship owner, captain and crew all benefited
financially from the seized cargo. It is recorded that in 1779 two British ships, the York and Tryon were captured
on the Connecticut River by Haddam made ships captained by Simon Tyler and Samuel Shaylor. Haddam, like many
other Connecticut towns, served as a provisionary town during the war supplying troops with food including fish, beef
and pork. During the winter of 1778 the horses of Washington's dragoons (cavalry) were housed in Haddam and Durham,
which seriously depleted the residents' stock of hay and feed. The following year residents protested and the dragoons
were moved to Colchester.
After the Revolution many of the town's local farmers were left with farms that were so small in acreage that they
were no longer profitable. Because it was common practice for the family farm to be split off to form homesteads for
sons, there was a marked decrease in the size of farms in town. As a result of this land shortage, many of the
descendants of local farming families emigrated west to places such as New York and Ohio. Despite the land shortage,
there was a brief building boom in Haddam after the Revolution. Trade and industry grew and those families involved
in local industry built large and ornate homes. Middlesex Turnpike opened in 1802 and as the main road from Saybrook
to Hartford it ran directly through the center of Haddam Village. This allowed for easier communication and
commercial growth for the town.
Churches: For the first hundred years the Congregational Church was the only organized church in town
and the first meetinghouse was erected in 1673-74. Haddam Neck residents joined with Middle Haddam residents to form
their own ecclesiastical society in 1740 and the Higganum Congregational Church was formed in 1844. In 1791
the Methodists began to meet in the western part of town and a Methodist Church stood in the Burr District for a
number of years. In 1792 a Baptist Congregation was formed and it erected a church in the Shailerville section of
town. The Rev. William C. Knowles started the Episcopal Church in the Ponsett section of town in 1861 and the present
St. James's Episcopal Church was erected in 1871-73. In 1756 a small group of Catholics settled here but unable to find
a priest they returned to Nova Scotia. In 1876 the first mass of local Catholics was held in a private home and a
year later Mission Church of St. Peter was erected in Higganum.
Schools: The first record of schools was in 1750 when Nathaniel Spencer, John
Ventres and Thomas Brooks
were tapped to sit on the school board. Residents paid the schoolmaster for teaching all the male children between 5 and
12 and females between 5 and 7 whether they attended school or not. Early lessons were held in private homes and by 1728
a school was erected near the old burying ground. In 1732 the town voted that lessons would be taught at the
schoolhouse for 3 to 5 months of the year and for the remaining part of the year the teacher would travel to
outlying districts. Men taught classes in the winter and women taught in the summer months. By 1814 thirteen
school districts had been established in town. Each district erected a small (many one-room) schoolhouse to serve
area students. District schoolhouses remained in use until the early 20th century. In the mid-19th century
Higganum village's population warranted that a new larger schoolhouse be built. This two-story schoolhouse, which
still stands on the south side of Candlewood Hill Road, was known as the "Green School". This building once stood on
the Higganum Green and was replaced in 1894 by the Higganum Union School, which was used until 1948. In 1948
Haddam Elementary was erected on the east side of Saybrook Road and currently houses grades 1 through 6. The Haddam
Junior High School (now HK Middle School) was completed in 1960 and in 1970 the town erected a second elementary school
off Killingworth Road in the Burr District. Haddam and Killingworth became Regional School District #17 in 1970s and
the High School was built on the same campus as the Junior High and completed by 1978.
|Higganum Union School
Civil War: During the Civil War Haddam sent 90 men of service age to join Connecticut Regiments and 23
perished. Most local men served with Company D of the 20th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry and Company A of the
24th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. General Alexander Shailer, a Union general who lead his regiment in all the battles
of the Army of the Potomac was a native of Haddam.
Haddam Center. In 1785 Middlesex County was created from towns from Hartford and New London counties and
Haddam and Middletown were selected to share the county seat, an arrangement that lasted over 100 years. As a
half-shire town Haddam Village grew as the commercial and institutional center of town. Haddam became a regional center
with a county courthouse located in the heart of town and a jailhouse not too far away. The granite jailhouse is one
of the town's most impressive structures and continued to be used as a jail until the mid 20th century. Court trials
during this era were a form of public entertainment and the presence of a courthouse and jail brought judges, lawyers
and visitors to Haddam's center, a great boost for the economy. Roger Sherman and John Trumbull were among the
notable lawyers who worked at the Haddam Court. During much of the 19th century Haddam village was a bustling community
and institutional center of town. Shipbuilding was done on a small scale and the granite quarries became a
prominent business in the 1800's supplying curb and building stone to New Orleans, New York, and Philadelphia. The
county court left Haddam in the 1880's and the industrialization of Higganum to the north drew much of the
commercial business from the village. Steamboat traffic replaced carriages as the primary means of traveling north
and south and the Middlesex Turnpike declined as a major thoroughfare. Following the steamboat was the Connecticut
Valley Railroad in 1871, which provided an easy and quick route from Old Saybrook to Hartford that bypassed
With the invention of the automobile, the old Middlesex Turnpike saw an increase in traffic again and small
roadside eateries and shops opened to cater to travelers. The village of Haddam remained the institutional center of
town with the town hall, library, county orphanage and jail onto the 20th century.
Sources for Haddam History:
Bayles, Richard M. "Town of Haddam." In History of Middlesex County, Connecticut,
edited by J. B. Beers.
New York: J. B. Beers and Company, 1884.
Beers, J. H. Commemorative Biographical Record of Middlesex County, Chicago:
J.H. Beers, 1903
Brainerd, Eveline Warner. "Haddam Since the Revolution." Connecticut Magazine,
December 1899, pp.591-604
____________________. "The Plantation of Thirty Mile Island." Connecticut Magazine, November 1899,
Brooks, Lillian Kruger. Life Flows Along Like a River: A History of Haddam Neck.
Haddam Genealogical Group, 1972.
Cunningham, Janice and Elizabeth A. Warner. Portrait of a Town: The History and Architecture
of Haddam, Connecticut. Greater Middletown Preservation, Middletown, CT, 1984
Field, David Dudley. A Statistical Account of the County of Middlesex in
Connecticut, Middletown, Connecticut: Clark and Lyman, 1819
___________________. A History of the Towns of Haddam and East Haddam, Middletown, Connecticut:
Loomis and Richards, 1814
Knowles, The Reverend William C. By Gone Days of Ponset-Haddam. New York: Printed by
the author, 1914.
Sandin, Katherine. Country Church, Country People 1740-1974. Detroit: Harlow
Selden, Henry. "Haddam Neck." In the History of Middlesex County, Connecticut,
edited by J.B. Beers. New York: J.B. Beers and Company, 1884.
Two-Hundredth Anniversary of the First Congregational Church of Haddam,
Connecticut, 1700-1900. Haddam, Connecticut: The DeVinne Press, 1902